This is going to seem like a random post but it was something I was thinking about the other day. We have been married now for 10 (pretty darn awesome years). And I feel like we are still learning things. You probably don't think about it but when you go into marriage you go in with assumptions. I find that I have things that I assume based on how my parents' marriage is. And I was thinking that if you came from a broken home, it would be hard to see these things (well I guess it depends on what it is). But anyway, I am going to share with you some findings (sorry mom and dad) of some things that you may or may not do as a couple (and I won't share if this is an Ehrets or a Furman thing.)
Some families:
-only use hardboiled Easter eggs/ some use a combo of plastic and harboiled
-store baked goods in the stove/ store them on the counter (I turned on the stove our first year of marriage not knowing there was something being stored in there!)
-share all money/ person is delegated 'things to pay for'
-kiss before you leave the house/ don't kiss
-give gifts for mother's day, father's day to spouse/ don't
-sit around after dinner/ clean up right after dinner and move on
-leave notes on the counter to where-abouts/don't
-go grocery shopping with your spouce/ don't
-go to bed at the same time/ don't
Ok, so I can only think of nine and I am sure there are more.
Sunday, June 17, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
This is SO true, and I think sometimes people can come into a relationship with expectations based on their personal experiences, and it can really be a negative thing. Josh's and my parents are SO different, and in some ways I prefer the way his parents do things and in some ways I prefer the way my parents do things. It can be kind of fun the first year, though, like, "Why do you do that/why do you do it that way?" ... it's almost like doing something a different way never occurred to you, because you're just doing what you know.
Sometimes I wish we lived really far away from both sets of our parents so we (and by we, I'm sure I really mean I) would feel freer to just 'discover' our own way of doing things, and not feel influenced to do things one way or another based on who is around.
Something funny is that one time my mom asked me why we take our shoes off when we come into the house. She said, "You do that because Josh's mom does that, right?" and I thought, no... I do that because shoes make the house dirtier. You know? I mean, it's not THAT weird to take shoes off, right? But we never did growing up and my parents still don't. Different strokes for different folks. :)
PS - My "word verification" has 47 in it!!
Post a Comment