This is the time of the year when our cows are 'calving' as my husband and in laws like to call it. All of our heifers are starting to have calves. We have to go out in the field and check them every day to see how many calves we have, to make sure we haven't lost any, and to make sure no heifers are having problems having the calves.
I love this time of year. I love going out and looking at all the fresh calves and watching them romp in the field. I always feel so maternal watching the cows and their calves. I enjoy the feeling of knowing that summer is about to come to an end and we have these wonderful warm days and cool nights.
Right now we have about 12 calves. We are expected to have about 40 by the end of the summer. In a few months when it gets too cold for them all to be outside at night, we will bring them into the barn in the evenings and then start the barn cleaning in the morning. It is a lot of work, we spend about 2 hours in the born each morning. But I really enjoy going out there and scraping the barn with my in laws. And I enjoy watching my boys as well. Last year Van had to stay in the old playpen that Chip stayed in when he was a baby in the barn. This year, he will be running around with Adam sweeping and scraping with the best of them.
I know I have mentioned more than once, and it even is topic of my blog, but I am very happy that my boys will have this opportunity to grow up on the farm. I think they will learn a lot and have a perspective on life that many children aren't exposed to.
1 comment:
I love these pics! This does sound like a fun time on the farm:)
Post a Comment