Friday, January 23, 2009

My true thoughts on having a girl


I have decided every time I am going to do a pregnancy post, I am going to put a picture up of a little outfit too. This dress came yesterday from Land's End. It is corduroy and I just really like it.
OK, so here goes my true heart to heart feelings on having a girl, I am sure I am going to be all over the place. And I almost feel like I shouldn't be writing this because I know some people have the attitude as 'I don't care what it is, as long as it is healthy.' But a reality for me is, I do have thoughts and feelings on the gender of my children, and I am going to share them with you.
For a while before I had kids I thought my ideal family would look like this: boy, girl, boy in that order. And then when we thought about having a family, we thought, hey, four is a good number. And then Adam came and we were like, what the heck are we thinking, we can hardly handle one. As things went on, we adapted and life got easier and my husband has decided that he is good with three kids. He's ready to 'move on to the next stage' as he tells me. And my attitude is, if I were to have four kids, I might as well have like eight because four in my mind pushes over to the 'large' stage. Three is still manageable but four is a lot. So that is where we are with that, and I am OK with it. When I was pregnant with Adam, I was hoping he was a boy, and when I was pregnant with Van, I was hoping he was a boy as well to be completely honest. They are born at the same exact time, the clothing thing works out marvelously, and as my sister in law put it, you have all the boy toys. With the farm too, it's nice to have some big burly farm men around, not that my boys are big and burly but you know what I mean. I guess I picture a girl as a princessy type even though I don't think I am. But when I had Van, I went through a short period of, 'what if I never have a girl? I think I would be sad' And that phase slowly passed into, I think I would like another boy. Three boys would be great, the whole farm thing again, they say boys are easier, Van was a piece of cake baby, let's repeat that again.
And my other thought is this- the teenage age. I think that boys are more laid back. You don't have to worry about them as much. They seem to me a little more stable, less emotional, less drama. I don't picture boys as being as sneaky or playing mind games like girls do. But maybe I am dreaming all of this in my head. Chip is scared to death of a girl I think. We were looking at the sono pictures today and he was like, 'I hope she isn't gorgeous. We will have enough work on our hands as it is, if she is beautiful it will be even worse!' How funny is that? We were watching the news one day and there was this college girl on there that got abducted or something and he was like, if we ever have a girl, she isn't going to college. Ummmm..... ok. But I am sure when she is born, she will melt his heart.
I am hoping that I can somehow instill confidence in my daughter. I think that is a big thing. If a girl can have confidence in the decisions she makes (friends, clothing, boyfriends, issues) I think that will make a huge difference on how she views herself and the choices that she makes in life. So I hope that we can make that happen somehow.
OK, now onto the happy part. My grandma has started to fail recently (I thought this was the happy part?) And my mom said to me recently, be so happy you are having a girl. Girls I think are more observant of needs whether they are emotional or physical than boys are. Boys and men I think just sort of go with the flow, not really pro-active, don't really plan. I think girls are more sensitive. We are seeing that with who is responding to my grandma's needs in the family and who isn't. Mostly it's women and I think that runs true most of the time. My mom and I have a very close relationship and I am looking forward to that with a daughter. I know that men always need their moms too but I think women are different. Women have different relationships with their mothers than men do. I am looking forward to doing the prom dress and wedding thing, playing with her hair and doing the American Girl Doll stuff. And not to mention the clothes as you already know. I don't plan on making her into a girly girl princess and I don't think that will happen with two brothers anyway. But I am very excited about having a girl. This will be a new challenge for us and I think we are up for it.

No comments: