Every spring (for the past 38 years Mr. I announced today) they have had the Grahamsville Gallop. It is a race for anyone that can walk basically. Chip and I ran in it when we were younger. I moved to the area when I was in fourth grade. We didn't have the track then. I had to run 800 meters around the parking lot and I took off like a shot (like most kids do) and died probably 200 meters into it and probably got last, I don't remember.
The boys have been 'running' in the race since they were 16 months or so. That race is always a riot. Kids are crying, Adam turned around and went the opposite direction, stopped, waved to my parents and did a dance. It was hilarious. That is usually the 2 and under or 3 and under race. They always separate the races by gender and age, 4 year old girls, 5 year old boys, etc. When you are in the 3 and under race, you run 80 m, 4 year olds run 100 meters, 5 year olds run 200 meters, everyone else runs 400 meters up to 11 year olds run 800 meters.
I don't like to be one to brag about my kids. Of course I think they are just great because they are my kids and of course they are smart and beautiful and everything else every parent thinks of their child. BUT.... Adam is pretty darn fast. He has won every Grahamsville Gallop except the one I mentioned above where he got last. He ran this one mostly in the fourth lane and when I yelled to him to move over, he stopped in the middle of the race and looked at me for a milli-second. He has his father's natural stride and grace when it comes to running, he really does. He also has stamina. When we brought him to the track the other night, he ran a mile, 4 times around, no joke. He has that competitive edge about him too.
Van got fourth in his age group. Van doesn't seem to have the competitive edge that Adam has. He just is very laid back and does his own thing. We were watching the video and when they said go, he just stood there for a while. Van definitely marches to the beat of his own drum and I love that.
Something that is funny (but not really) is that we have camera issues EVERY Grahamsville Gallop. One time I taped it, and I was cheering and whatnot and missed most of the actual people, but got just a bare track and some random people's feet. So I was called off the video detail. Another year we gave the video camera to someone else and the same sort of thing happened. Another year we dropped the actual camera after Van's race so we didn't have a camera for Adam's race. This year, Chip insisted on doing the video taping. Van's race (which was first) was video taped, but no still shots, I think because we just weren't thinking. I was down at Van's race for the start, Chip was at the finish videotaping, and we just didn't hand anyone the camera. For Adam's race, I was with him at the start, we gave Chip's sister the still camera and she took shots but Chip thought he had the video camera on and never pressed record. He is beside himself. Maybe ONE year we will get it right. Next year we'll have three kids running though so that adds another opportunity for something to go awry. :)
Every time before a Grahamsville Gallop, I get nervous. I feel my heart rate increase when we pull in to the track. I know it is ridiculous. I told Chip about it today and he said, "bringing back past memories." I think he is right. At the end of the race they have a mom's and dad's race. You have to run 400 meters and guess what your time will be and the closest person to their time wins. Chip ran the race with the moms and the dads. I felt very proud to see him run. He won of course because he just has a God-given talent. He really does. He ran 67 seconds. 67 seconds just hopping on the track and running a lap!! He thought he would run 70 seconds so he was only off by 3. Someone guessed their time right on the nose! Can you believe that?
It was a fun day though- it brought back a lot of memories, we had a lot of laughs, and my heart just swelled with pride when I watched my boys (and man) work their magic around the track. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment