I see that these pictures were kind of put in backwards, but that is OK. I posted about this last year as well and I am going to put the link to it, it was actually fun to go through my blog and see what I have written, they have grown up SO much in a year. Here are some pics of them last year in the barn (when you scroll down):
http://farmkids-julie.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2008-01-29T12%3A14%3A00-08%3A00&max-results=50
As I mentioned last year, pretty much every morning, we go to the barn and do 'chores' as my in laws and husband call it (from about the end of October maybe until Aprilish). We put the cows in at night and in the morning we let them out, so each morning, the barn needs to be scraped of manure, the mangers and mats swept of silage, and the floors swept as well. Every other day, we clean the barn completely out which means the barn cleaner gets cleaned out and the manure gets spread into the manure spreader and my father in law or husband drives the tractor and spreads it around the field. I personally love the 'barn cleaning days' because the barn is really clean then, it takes longer but I take on scraping the barn cleaner as my job because I like to.
It's funny to me to see how much Van has changed in a year. Last year he was in the playpen and this year he is running around and working like the rest of them. I love to watch him copy what his brother, father and grandfather do. You can see in the pictures that they are both shoveling, Van is sweeping at one point and then they are 'doing' grit. They love to 'do' grit. It is this 'grit' I guess that we spread on the barn floor every day so when the cows come in they don't fall because the floor isn't slippery. I love the way they move their shovels around just like their grandfather does when he spreads it. Next year, Adam will be in Pre-K and will miss our morning chores. :( But by the time I get him on the bus, and get back home, he will be home pretty much. And we'll have another baby in the playpen too. :) I really enjoy cleaning the barn, as odd as that is, and I am glad the boys get to do it too.
2 comments:
Ohhh, Van is such a little man in these pictures! I looked back at last year's pics and I couldn't believe the differences. They grow up SO fast!
I think it is so great that you all do the barn chores together. Great family time, plus your boys are learning responsibily and the meaning of hard work. Such great life lessons. Can I send BB and BP to help sometime?
Post a Comment