Saturday, March 22, 2008

Baby

I'm sorta bored right now so I am going to post this thought that I have had for a while. What is a baby? I have had my dictionary up here for some time now (I was kinda picking up and I saw this dictionary and it made me think, oh yeah, I wanted to do that post.) So here is what the dictionary says a baby is:

-a very young child

-infant

-the youngest member of a family or group

-a person who behaves in an infantile way

I guess it depends on who you ask on what defines a baby. According to this dictionary, my mom as well as my husband would be considered 'babies' and I guess my brother too because they are all the youngest members of families, but I don't really think of them as babies. I would agree with an infant, but I don't really think it stops there. And a very young child... where do you draw the line with that? I mean I would consider Adam a very young child, but not a baby.

I guess I have been thinking about this because we refer to Van as 'Baby Van' a lot. And I know that Adam was pretty much a baby, until Van came along. But I have friends that refer to their children as babies and they are Adam's age, because they are the youngest in the family. And my aunt refers to her grandson as baby Jayson, and he is like 14. Some people say anything before two is considered a baby. Also once they stop sleeping up on their knees, they are no longer a baby. Hey, Baby Gap goes up to size 4T! Does that mean they are still babies until they reach that size? I don't know. But I am going to keep calling Van my baby for a while at least.

No comments: