Thursday, March 6, 2008

Feeding updates

Here's a little update on my healthy food kick. A few days ago I made this vegetable barley bake. It turned out pretty well. My only complaint is that it took a really long time and that is because it made so much. It was in a 9x13 pan so we are eating some tonight as well. I started making dinner at 4:15 and pretty much didn't stop and sit down to eat until 6. We had pork and apples and that veg bake. I underestimated the time it would take me to cut up all the peppers, mushrooms and onions. So next time I will halve the recipe. We had stewed baby tomatoes last night too and that seemed to go over well.

My kids both have colds and aren't eating. Chip and I are trying everything (less of giving them just junk to eat) and nothing seems to be really working. Why is it as parents we are always trying to get our children to eat? My grandma told me when my uncle was a baby, (he was her first) she brought him to this special doctor because she thought he wasn't eating. The doctor told her, a child won't starve unless you don't provide food for them. And that was 60 years ago. So I guess my kids aren't going to starve. Also in a really weird sort of way, this made me think of this conversation I had with my pastor this summer. He works for Hospice and I was just saying that there is NO WAY I could do that, be around people that actually die right in front of you. And he was telling me that one thing that people do when their loved ones are actually 'dying' is they try to get them to eat and drink because that is a sign of life really. So I wonder in a really weird sort of way, do we try to get the kids to eat a lot because we think the more they eat, the healthier they are? I don't know.

So I had a can of Speghettio's in the cupboard today. I bought them before the health kick. And I thought, what kid is going to refuse these? I look at the can and it is 37% of your sodium for the day, what can be better right? Yeah... well my kids both would not eat them. Van spit it out, twice. And Adam had like two spoonfuls and that was the end for him. So I ate it and saved the rest for another day. I guess I should be happy in a way that they didn't want it right? I then tried to give Van baby food and he didn't want that either and Adam ate my carrots. (He will eat fruit and vegs until the cows come home but I want him to eat something else of substance.) I think when they feel better, they will eat more.

No comments: